Beneficial Supplement L-Glutamine
Along with following the Ketogenic Diet and increasing my physical activity I have also been adding supplements to my plan. One supplement that I introduced first and has given me some excellent results is Glutamine.
Glutamine is an amino acid that is used in the biosynthesis of proteins. It is classified as a charge-neutral, polar amino acid. The dietary sources of glutamine includes especially the protein-rich foods like beef, chicken, fish, dairy products, eggs, vegetables like beans, beets, cabbage, spinach, carrots, parsley, vegetable juices and also in wheat, papaya, brussel sprouts, celery and kale.
Researchers are suggesting that Glutamine is the most important of the amino acids. It provides a component in muscle metabolism and cellular support not shared by any other single amino acid, making the benefits of L-Glutamine supplementation something to consider.
In Maria Emmerichs book “Secrets to a healthy metabolism” She writes about the benefits of this supplement. I have this audio book on my Audible app and it is excellent! https://goo.gl/tgsRwv
Some great attributes and benefits of Glutamine
- Helps rebuild muscle tissue and allows muscles to recover faster – I take some glutamine right after my workout at the Gym and have noticed a definite improvement in my recovery time and reduction in next day soreness (especially after heavy lifting)
- Supports our ability to reload nutrients after they have been depleted
- Increases our output of human growth hormone – HGH improves weight loss, muscle strength, bone strength, cardiovascular health and sleep.
- Reduces our cravings for carbs – This is one of the first things I noticed when I started a routine of supplementing Glutamine
- Helps prevent depression and anxiety – Glutamine increases the production of GABA, gamma-amino-butyric acid. GABA is the most important inhibitory neurotransmitter of the brain. That means it acts like a lock keeper and inhibits signal transmissions between the nerve cells. It is like a natural sedative in the brain. If the body has enough glutamine available it can manufacture GABA. This has a positive impact: peace of mind, balance in stressful situations, improved concentration and restorative sleep.
- Essential to immune system – Speeds up recovery since it is utilized by our white blood cells
- Helps intestinal system by being a vital nutrient used to repair and rebuild – This was very noticeable for me! I do not have a gall bladder and struggle with stomach issues. Taking L-Glutamine has calmed down my digestive system drastically – I would take glutamine for this benefit alone.
I use L-Glutamine 1000mg capsules (1gr) –
- I take two during the day
- one after I work out
- Two before bed
- 5gr daily total
The benefits to me have been very noticeable by improving my workout recovery, better sleep, calming my digestive system, weight loss and reduced cravings. It truly is an awesome supplement