Salads – awesome meals for their ease and nutrition
Salads save the day for me when it comes to staying on a low carb keto diet.
Here are a few things I do and foods I choose that have made this staple simple and delicious.
First and foremost keep it organic, do not skimp on this, yes it is more expensive but how much money have you spent on lunches out and even fast food? It is worth it – Just buy organic please!! I have also found that I succeed with products that keep better, I do enjoy mixed greens and spinach but sometimes I end up tossing some out that has spoiled. I use cabbage often, it it has a great shelf life and I love the taste and crunch. It is a food that has so many awesome nutrition qualities and just makes me feel better. If I have other greens like spinach or romaine on hand I will add those. Here is what I have ready to go so I can whip up a quick and delicious salad.
- Cauliflower – I find both broccoli and cauliflower keep well in fridge
- Protein – I cook up proteins on Sunday to have ready for week – This includes organic ground beef, organic chicken thighs, organic eggs hard boiled and I keep canned fish on hand
- kalmata olives – Great taste and adds needed fat
- avocado – A keto must have at all times!
- Primal Kitchen Dressing – I love this dressing and its simple ingredients (ranch and caesar are my favs)
- Optional additions – cottage cheese, shredded cheddar or feta
- 1 to 2 cups shredded cabbage – I shred some of the cabbage ahead of time and store for quick access
- Half cup each of broccoli and cauliflower
- Half of Avocado
- Six kalmata olives
- Two tablespoons Primal Kitchen Caesar Dressing
- 4 to 5oz Ground beef – seasoned with Maria Emmerich’s taco seasoning recipe – get this book! https://goo.gl/wRhw1s
- There is allot of crap in prepackaged seasonings – I do my own mixes now and Maria’s book has tasty alternative recipes to store bought commercial products.
There you go! Simple, fast and easy!
Here is an approximate breakdown of macros using the “lose it” app – I record everything I eat on this phone app. If you are pressed for time take a picture of what you are eating and record it later but please keep track. It is amazing how this habit alone has helped my progress.
14% carbs – All these carbs above are high in fiber so I find they do not knock me out of ketosis even if the overall grams are more than 10%. I am still not sure how to calculate net grams of carbs when factoring in fiber. So please comment if you have a suggestion!